This project is read-only.

Feature request

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:53 PM
Edited Nov 1, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Please log your feature requests here.

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:56 PM

First congrats on a great tool / app

My feature request is simple.  Add the ability to run custom scripts (maybe powershell/VB) from with the app to perform custom query's. This would make the app more extensible and customizable.  I suggest this because for you to add every single thing available from WMI would produce information overload and it would take forever to scan; plus you will never cover every ones needs.

For example a form could open allowing  the user to type script.  I would make the suggestion that PowerShell would be the obvious choice for this.

eg:

to determine whether a computer is a tower, a mini-tower, a laptop, and so on? we could write (in VB script)

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
    & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" _
    & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colChassis = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("Select * from Win32_SystemEnclosure")
For Each objChassis in colChassis
    For Each objItem in objChassis.ChassisTypes
        Wscript.Echo "Chassis Type: " & objItem
    Next
Next

What do you think??

Would you like me to knock up a prototype??

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think this feature would greatly enhance the monitoring capabilities of Network Asset Manager. As a matter of fact I am already working on a plugin based monitoring architecture which would enable users to select specific monitoring options from a set of predefined monitoring parameters or allow them to define there own parameters/modules as a plugin to the NAM system if these parameters are not available by default.

Right now I am a bit short on time due to some other commitments. Hopefully I will be ready with the alpha release by end of Feb.